REFLECTION 2 - YOUNG POH PING

         Cohabitation is undergoing an accelerating trend in the recent past. Many young couples decided to live together without engagement or marriage. As one of the member of my group, I agreed to select cohabitation as the issue to discuss in our forum. One of the purposes we selected this issue is because we want to have a deeper insight on the bright side as well as the downside of cohabitation. At the same time, we realized cohabitation is a focus issue of media as well as academic research. We are fervent to know whether it is a right choice for couples to cohabit before marriage. If it is not, what are the criteria that couples need to weigh up and reflect on before they opted to cohabit?  Consequently, all of my group members came to an agreement that cohabitation will be an appealing yet attention-grabbing issue to be discussed about. We will be able to convey useful messages to the audience, especially the young generation.
           
One question struck my mind when I was doing my research on cohabitation. Is there any difference between cohabitation and marriage? Initially, I assumed cohabitation is different from marriage as cohabitation is informal and there is no legal documentation occurring between the two partners. It is possible that cohabitation and marriage is not identical (Joyner, 1999). For unmarried couples, they are less likely to share the ownership of the house and resources (Blumstein, 1983). The possibilities to establish a strong and long-lasting relationship is also lower (Bumpass, 1983). The degree of respect among partners may also differ from couples who are legally married.
           
I believe there are both pros and cons to everything. I have read an article from Asia Times saying that the Singapore Government is currently worrying about the increasing divorce rate and decreasing birth rate. I think such scenario occurred because most of the couples in the modern society cohabit before marriage without realizing that it actually weakens a marriage relationship afterward and therefore contributes to the acceleration of divorce rate. Although many people including myself believe that it is better to have a trial period before you buy or invest in something, I realized it is the opposite for marriage. Marriage is a whole life commitment. Couples need to build compatibility in order to maintain a lasting relationship, not test it (Harley, 1996).
           
I discovered that cohabitation is an agreement without commitment. Some people might say that marriage is only a piece of license but I think marriage is far more beyond that. In marriage, couples often encounter differences of values, loyalty, freedoms, feelings and labors. This is when commitment for marriage plays a significant role. Commitment is essential to develop a successful marital relationship (Mace, 1989). Couples who share commitment in their marriage care and be thoughtful for each other at all times. They love and cherish each other even if they find themselves in adverse condition.
           
In addition, I learned that it is always advantageous to consider all pros and cons when making a decision of major importance. Decision is about dealing with the consequences. The same goes to making the decision to cohabit before marriage. It is important to ensure we make the right choice because we are the one who have to live with them after all. As a teacher trainee, I understand that I need to acquire the skills of decision making because I will be the leader of my class in the coming future. A good decision making skill reflects acquirement of leadership quality.
           
In a nutshell, I highly acknowledge the opportunity to conduct a forum because I learned to carry myself confidently which is an invaluable experience. I appreciate the knowledge that I gained and it serves as the guidelines of my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment