A Letter to My Mother

Dear mummy,

First of all, thank you for everything that you have done in order to raise me up. I appreciate that I have such a mother like you; you are a softhearted and gentle mother. However, you are also a strict and serious mother when I did something wrong. I still remember when I was small, I was afraid of you. You used to cane me when I was naughty and did something disrespectful to you and dad. When I was still a little girl, I was quite naughty right? You asked me many times to do something but I never listened, then you would use your ultimate weapon, the cane, to beat me. It was painful but you just want me to listen to you and became a good girl.

When I was in secondary school, I was quite rebel. I liked things my way. I was a bad child and a worse teen. I started to revolt, resisted against your words, be friends with juvenile delinquents, got involved in boyfriend-and-girlfriend stuff, and loitered around outside until very late at night. Mum, you did not beat me anymore but you took away my cell phone and set a curfew for me. You gave me advice and tried hard to pull me back from the negative. I knew you were sad and hurt by me, mum, I am so sorry about that. I was once disliked how you teach me; I think that you were forcing me to do something that I was unwilling to do. But despite my rebellion, I wanted to tell you that I think you have done an amazing job.

Mum, you are anything but ordinary. I have so many reasons to thank you. I don’t even know where to start. I love you, mum. I know how fortunate I am because you have shaped me by being the person you are and become a useful person. Mum, thank you for not being like the other mothers. Thank you for not forcing me to do the things that I am not willing to do. Thank you for not caring what other people think. Thank you for being wacky and wonderful always. Thank you for not comparing me to the other kids.

Mum, how did you manage to get healthy, home-cooked meals on the table every day? Eating out was such a rarity, and I totally dislike eating outside. I prefer your home cooked dishes but now that I am away from home. I miss your foods so much. When I was at home, I did not need to think and to worry about what to eat; there would always be meals on the dining table. However, I am away from home now and I could bear to eat outside, the food is not delicious at all! Thank you for teaching me the importance of nutrition and sitting down as a family for dinner every night. Thank you for teaching me how to cook, and for making it fun by letting us be responsible for choosing recipes and helping you make them. Sitting together and eating are the most important elements in order to make the relationship among the family to become closer. You taught me this and I would like to practice this when I get married and have children in the future.

You’re an optimist, and you are always my BFF. If I’m nervous, I would call you. If I’m scared, you’re there to say I can do it. I count on you for that, Mum, and you never let me down. When I faced problems, you always stay by my side and tried to be a good listener. When I was happy, you would like me to share with you, just like sisters did. Your attitude makes me learn from you and I have become quite similar with you.

Thanks, Mom, for everything. Love you, love you, and love you!
 Love,
Ngiik Ying.

No comments:

Post a Comment